FRANKLIN COUNTY LIBRARY HISTORY
BUILDING 1

See a diagram of library history

first library
Late 1940's, Building 1

first library1
1960's, Building 1

first library plaque
First Building, 40 East Court Street, Rocky Mount, VA 24151.
Built in 1940 by David K.E. Bruce and was part of Franklin-Patrick Regional Library.
Opened to the public at 10 a.m. on February 21, 1941.


Augusta Robertson was the acting librarian in the early 1970’s (sitting at the desk in first picture). We do not have names of the other people in the photos as these photos were taken from slides. At one time the children’s area was downstairs in the basement of the first library building. It was later moved to the top floor. Not sure of the date when this occurred. The first building was located at 40 East Court Street, Rocky Mount, Virginia. 

1st Library Building History and Mrs6

1st Library Building History and Mr4

1st Library Building History and Mrs1

1st Library Building History and Mrs2

1st Library Building History and Mrs3


FRANKLIN COUNTY LIBRARY HISTORY
BUILDING 2

second library frameShell of Building 2

second library groundLeft to Right: John Ranson (Dewberry & Davis Architect), Fred Blair (Blair Construction Company), 
Mayor Woody (Rocky Mount), Billie Robertson (Board of Supervisors), Barbara Bumgardner
David Bass, Library Director (behind Mrs. Bumgardner) and Richard E. Huff, II

second library plans
Left to Right: Homer Murrary (Board of Supervisors), Blair Construction (Foreman),
Thurman E. Scott (Board of Supervisors), Richard E. Huff, II, Miles W. Holland (Board of Supervisors)

second library ground1Moving Materials for Building

second library ground2Outside almost finished

second library finishedBuilding finished. This second building was at 120 East Court Street.
Opened to the public on July 28, 1986.

drobertsonDebbie Robertson sorts books in new location.

library proclamation
Proclamation for new building.

library plaque
List of the businesses and individuals who furnished the money for the building's inside accessories.


FRANKLIN COUNTY LIBRARY HISTORY
BUILDING 3

third library

third library1The current building at 355 Franklin Street in Rocky has been renovated from an old Leggett's Building into a library.
This location opened to the public on September 22, 2004.

FRANKLIN COUNTY LIBRARY HISTORY
BRANCH LOCATION 1

westlake libraryFirst branch location at Westlake opened in July, 2008 at 84 Westlake Rd., Suite 109 in Hardy, Virginia.


DAVID E. BASS, III - FORMER LIBRARY DIRECTOR

David Bass Former Library Director

David E. Bass, III became the Library Director on May 17, 1982. He would retire as Director on January 31, 2015 after 32 1/2 years of service with the Franklin County Public Library. He served as Director in three main buildings and one branch location.

JOYCE E. TUKLOFF - FORMER CHILDREN'S LIBRARIAN

msjoyce1

Joyce E. Tukloff was hired October 28, 1980 and served as the Children's Librarian for the Franklin County Library for 30 years.
The present Story Hour Room was renamed in her honor.