Common exemptions that do not require a permit are as follows:
- Detached accessory structures (under 256 square feet) used for storage/utility purposes, not classified as group F1 or H occupancy. (However, an electrical permit is required if electrical wiring is installed)
- Electrical equipment that operates at less than 50 volts (except for smoke/fire systems)
- Fences and privacy walls that are not part of a building, structure, or swimming pool barrier. Exempt walls must be under six feet in height.
- Replacement of existing above ground LP - Gas containers of the same capacity in the same location and associated regulators when installed by the servicing gas supplier.
- Retaining walls supporting less than three feet of unbalanced fill (soil)
- Swimming Pools that have a surface area less than 150 square feet, under 5,000 gallons and are less than 24 inches deep.
- Tents under 900 square feet with occupant loads under 50 people
- When ordinary repairs are made such as:
- Installation or replacement of floor finishings, cabinetry, paint, or wall paper
- Replacement of electrical switches, dimmers, 15 or 20 amp 125 volt receptacles, lighting outlets, and ceiling (paddle) fans in Single Family Dwellings
- Replacement of mechanical appliances that are not fueled by gas or oil
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures without alterations or relocation
- Replacement of roof coverings or siding in Single Family Dwellings
- Replacement of windows and doors (same size) in Single Family Dwellings
If you require clarification if concerning work requiring a building permit, please contact the Franklin County Building Inspections Department between 8 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday at 540-483-3047.